ASSOCIATION OF BLACK PSYCHOLOGISTS
48TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION
REGISTER & LEARN MORE HERE
AMORIE ROBINSON, PHD, LP
MICHELLE LEWIS, PHD, LP
SACRED WALKER, MDIV, RDT
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT TITLE:
RESTORING UBUNTU: CLINICAL APPROACHES TO SOULCARE AND TRANSFORMING SAME GENDER LOVING PERSONS DOUBLE CONSCIOUSNESS
THEME AND TRACKS
O PROFESSIONAL SKILL DEVELOPMENT
LEARNING OBJECTIVES INCLUDE:
1) Participants will acquire three major skills that can be used for restoring the kinship bonds of African families/communities with members of same gender loving (SGL) identity.
2) Participants will gain an understanding of how to holistically support an affirming Eros and transform the double consciousness facing families of SGL people of African descent.
3) Participants will explore three specific ways to utilize West African principles to transform the impact of religious intolerance on the mental and behavioral health of SGL people.
4) Participants will brainstorm specific strategies that Black psychologists can utilize to restore Ubuntu to ensure inclusion of Black SGL family and community members.
5) Participants will learn at least two specific ways that African psychology and African philosophical approaches uniquely transform western linear concepts of love, faith, & family.
6) Participants will experientially learn through case studies how to assess and support individuals and families of faith.
Ubuntu means that one’s humanity is tied to another’s humanity and entails being human together. The quality of Ubuntu gives people resilience, enabling them to survive and emerge still human despite all efforts to dehumanize them. This training will give clinicians the opportunity to experientially learn how to create a container for both the challenges families face, as well as for the unspoken intergenerational trauma from learned rejection that originates from having adopted non-western linear models of love and family. The training aims to offer recommendations for supporting clients, families, and communities to operate in the spirit of Ubuntu to increase the chances that SGL people maintain overall optimal emotional and mental functioning. It is a mental health necessity to prevent self-harm faced by many same gender loving (SGL) family members. In soulcare, holding, healing, loving, we say sister brother, mother, client welcome home.
Posted on 08/13/2016 at 12:00:00 AM
|Monday||9:30AM - 6:30PM|
|Tuesday||9:30AM - 6:30PM|
|Wednesday||9:30AM - 6:30PM|
|Thursday||9:30AM - 6:30PM|
|Friday||9:30AM - 6:30PM|
|Saturday||9:30AM - 6:30PM|